Opportunities & Callouts
Leighton Art Centre Artists Members enjoy exclusive discounts and are encouraged to submit their artwork for an opportunity to show and sell in our Gallery Shop, be part of our annual Juried Members Show and Christmas in the Country Art Sale, and be considered for participation in the Clothesline Festival & Art Sale.
For more information on becoming an Artist Member, please visit our Become a Member page. For further assistance, please contact Gallery Shop & Guest Services Manager, Alison Marshall: email@example.com or 403.931.3633.
All exhibition and art sale callouts will be shared on this page, through our e-newsletters, and via our social media streams.
Monthly Members Collection (ongoing intake)
Registration Opening Soon: Christmas In The Country Art Sale
Annual Opportunities (not currently open for submissions):
Juried Members Show
Annual Exhibition Season
Annual Juried Plein Air Exhibition – In The Open Air
Christmas In The Country Art Sale – Registration Begins at 11 am on September 22, 2021
This annual seasonal art sale is open to Leighton Art Centre artist members on a first come, first served basis. Limited spots are available; to avoid disappointment, please don’t delay in signing up!
Please review all the details below.
If you get a ‘ticket’ (aka a spot in the sale), we’ll email you a link to the art submission/fee payment form on or before September 29. Form is due by October 25.
Registration Begins: September 22 – 11 am
Digital Form for Art Submission & Fee Payment Available (registered artists will be emailed a link): September 29
Deadline to Submit Art Digitally & Pay Fee: October 25
Deadline to Drop Off Art at the Gallery: October 30
Sale Runs: November 6 – December 22
All the Details:
- This sale opportunity is for Leighton Art Centre artist members, in good standing. If you’re unsure when your membership expires, please email Amanda to inquire: firstname.lastname@example.org. If we discover your membership has expired (or will expire before December 22), we’ll send you a renewal reminder.
- Maximum 5 pieces per artist. All submitted pieces must be for sale, with the price selected by the artist.
- Maximum art size: 30 x 40 inches.
- Unframed pieces only. Registered artists will receive instructions on packaging and labeling their pieces.
- Registration fee: $30 (+ GST), due when you submit your artwork (starting September 29, no later than October 25).
- The Leighton Art Centre commission is 40%. Artist consignor’s commission is 60%. Artist consignors are to be paid within 60 business days after sale of artwork.
Pre-Registration for Artist Members
Monthly Members Collection (aka Art On The Wall)
Each month, our Gallery Shop (or shop.leightoncentre.org if we are temporarily closed due to health regulations) features up to five artists, each with an approximately 3′ x 6′ space to display a small collection of their works. The artist chooses which pieces to submit to fill the space available (e.g. one large painting, multiple smaller paintings or a combination – your choice!).
Important: is this your first time submitting work to a gallery or shop? Please read up on our Gallery Shop’s Art & Fine Craft Guidelines & Requirements.
Here’s how it works:
- Gallery Shop wall space is open to all artist member with a current membership.
- To have the opportunity to participate in this program, please contact Alison Marshall or Riley Merchant by phone (403-931-3633) or email (email@example.com) and indicate your interest. Artist members (including new members) can be added to the first come first serve list for future rounds, simply by contacting Alison or Riley.
- LAC staff will select (first come/first serve) five current member artists per month from the list and will notify the selected artists by email and/or phone. We anticipate choosing artists for approximately 6 months at a time so you will have lots of time to get your art organized (or even fresh pieces created!).
- Selected artists will commit to submitting images and details for each piece through a digital form, then bringing their pieces in to the Gallery Shop approximately one week before their display will be installed by LAC staff. Art will be on display for four weeks.
- After four weeks, any unsold pieces will come down and be put into the holding area. We’ll hold art no longer than two weeks for pickup (please contact Alison or Riley if there are extenuating circumstances that prevent you from picking up within this time frame).
- Please note that we will still have other sections of wall space left for LAC to use at our discretion (i.e. art correlating with current exhibitions or more seasonal work, new member art etc…). Smaller art will continue to be pulled for ongoing counter displays.
For more details or assistance please contact our Gallery Shop & Guest Services team, Alison Marshall and Riley Merchant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.931.3633.
2022 Exhibition Season – Callout Closed for 2022
The Leighton Art Centre invites submissions from artists, artist groups, and curators of all artistic backgrounds working in all genres, styles, and mediums for exhibition in 2022. We endeavor to provide a platform for artists at all levels of their artistic careers, as well as present diverse programming and a stimulating exhibition schedule that challenges, and appeals to, a wide audience.
Deadline for submissions: 12 pm (noon) on Monday, July 5, 2021.
Artists will be notified of their result by July 30, 2021.
Gallery Exhibition Policies
The Leighton Art Centre preference is for exhibitions that are for sale, however, we are willing to work with artists and curators to pursue grant funding to cover fees for projects such as installations and non-commercial exhibitions. The LAC takes a commission of 40% on all sales. All exhibitions are organized by the LAC in coordination with the artist. Exhibitions generally run between four and eight consecutive weeks.
Submit Your Proposal
Submit a Solo Exhibition Proposal
Submit a Group Exhibition Proposal
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: 12 pm (noon) on MONDAY, JULY 5, 2021.
For more details or assistance please contact our Manager of Exhibitions, Events & Volunteers, Lindsay Corbet at email@example.com or 403.931.3153.
Annual Juried Members Show – Callout Closed for 2021
This popular annual exhibition showcases the very best of the Leighton Art Centre’s artist members’ work, in all styles and mediums.
The callout for the 20th Annual Juried Members Show, to be held in spring 2022, will take place late in 2021. Please watch our social media feeds and e-newsletters for more information.
Annual Juried Plein Air Exhibition – In The Open Air – Callout Closed for 2021
This annual juried exhibition, open to both members and non-members of Leighton Art Centre, with a nominal per-piece submission fee, honours the practice of creating art outdoors, in the moment.
Leighton Art Centre’s 2021 ‘In The Open Air’ juried plein air exhibition will be held September 11 – October 24, 2021. The exhibition format(s) will depend on the current state of health regulations at that time but, as of now, is anticipated to be held in person, with an online catalogue and online sales (within Canada) also available.
- August 16, 2021 (4 pm MDT): Deadline to submit.
- August 20, 2021: All artists will be informed by end of day about the status of their submission.
- September 4, 2021: Final day to deliver accepted pieces to Leighton Art Centre. Centre closes at 4 pm.
- Open call: submitting artist is not required to be a Leighton Art Centre member.
- Pieces must have been created en plein air. Touch ups in studio perfectly fine, but the spirit of the genre is for the bulk of the work to be done outdoors, in the moment. Please do not submit pieces created from photos or entirely in studio.
- Maximum 6 pieces per artist. All submitted pieces must be for sale, with the price selected by the artist.
- There is no size limit for submitted pieces, but please realize that the exhibition will be curated with available gallery space in mind.
- Accepted pieces must arrive at Leighton Art Centre ready to hang (or be placed on a table or plinth in the case of fine craft such as ceramics, textiles, jewellery or sculpture). No sawtooth hangers.
- Please check all your artwork information carefully before submitting. We are dealing with large quantities of data and will have very limited capacity to fix any errors. No art substitutions, or title or price changes will be accepted after the fact.
- Any submitted piece may not be sold by the artist between the time of submission of this form and the date that either (a) the artist receives notice of said piece’s rejection or (b) the exhibition ends (October 24, 2021). Failure to abide by this rule will result in the artist being excluded from the exhibition.