On the Road – Travel Plein Air Sketchingwith Michelle Wiebe
July 23 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Learn the secrets of capturing architecture, nature, and indoor scenes while you’re on the road, using a variety of techniques with watercolour and ink. This class will focus on a wide range of approaches for quickly capturing the moment with easy-to-transport supplies, as well as plenty of practical information on what to bring for your adventures!
Each session will focus on different areas of the beautiful Leighton property as well as feature different drawing skills and techniques. Join for one session or come for all!
Here are comments from participants of last year’s workshop:
“I loved the encouragement to play, it was freeing and fun. I especially like the idea of timed drawings!”
“Michelle Wiebe was great! She is practical, funny, creative, EXPERIENCED, and sincere!”
“I loved working in a variety of spaces with a variety of mediums.”
Audience: This workshop is suitable for both beginners with a desire to start sketching or intermediate artists wishing to develop a regular sketching practice!
Weather: In case of rain, activities will be performed inside the museum or one of the art studios of the Leighton Art Centre. Extremely poor weather may result in cancellation. For our cancellation & refund policy, please see below.
Supplies: Please bring the following supplies to the workshop. The Leighton Art Center has extra supplies to supplement your own.
- Brand new Sketchbook 50 – 100 pages, white paper, 5.5″ x 8.5″ – 8.5″ x 11.5″ sized, can be spiral or hardbound (student’s preference)
- 1 to 3 different sized tip fine liner pens (black) – waterproof (suggested brands: Sharpie (reg and fine tip), Sakura Micron, Staedler, Faber-Castell)
- An assortment of paintbrushes that you already own (smaller ones are preferred) (LAC has some to borrow)
- If you already own watercolour tubes and watercolour pencils, we invite you to bring those with you to permit you to get to know your supplies!
- A bag to carry supplies around the property (plastic is fine)
- Weather-appropriate clothing and shoes for sketching outside. Students who require reading glasses to create will want to bring them along.
- Students who wish to sit while working outside may bring a fold-up stool or chair. (LAC has some to borrow!)
- A lunch, snack, and water bottle for the day!
Registration cost: $ 88.22
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Please visit https://leightoncentre.org/join-us/become-a-member/.
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Please note there is a NO REFUND policy on all Leighton Art Centre workshops. A refund will be only be issued to participants if the workshop is cancelled by the workshop coordinator due to insufficient enrollment, extreme weather conditions, or Covid-19 restrictions. Workshops may be cancelled prior to the start date and participants will be notified via email and/or phone, and a full refund will be processed.
Withdrawal from workshops for medical reasons must be accompanied by a doctor’s medical note and must be received by the Leighton workshop coordinator prior to the workshop start date to be qualified for a full refund.
Artist/Instructor/Guide Bio: Michelle Wiebe is a Cochrane, Alberta-based artist focused primarily on painting, printmaking and letterpress. With a great fondness for all things print, you can find her fixing rusty presses or spending time printing at Alberta Printmakers. Michelle is a passionate instructor with a deep love for teaching, she makes it her goal that students leave her class with quality work and the confidence to continue building their new skills.
Facebook: Michelle Wiebe Art