CANCELLED – Funky Birds and Friends!with Fay Hodson
June 25, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
This workshop takes needle felting to the next level! It’s designed for anyone who has some needle–felt experience and wants to learn new techniques, expanding their creativity and technical ability in this fun medium.
We’ll be discussing:
- The basics of using the needle effectively and efficiently – a quick refresher!
- Building and integrating basic wire armatures (framework or skeleton) into felt sculptures. This greatly expands your ability to create more complex, self-supporting structures.
- Creating a solid internal core structure – this will help you to efficiently create firm sculptures
- How to let colour and the natural properties of wool take you in new, creative directions
- And use embellishments to create unique personalities!
We’ll be working on a funky bird! These fellas have an external/internal armature and are an excellent way to start working with armatures while being creative. We’ll be building a solid internal core around an armature. Then we’ll cover it with coloured wool, experimenting with soft sculpting and adding embellishments to create a unique bird. As time allows, we’ll work on creative sculpture with an internal armature – this will give you an opportunity to learn how to wrap wool around appendages and experiment with different techniques.
Audience: This workshop is suitable for adults and teenagers with some needle felting experience.
Supplies: Supplies are included in the registration fee.
Please bring from home:
– Notebook and pen
– Masking tape
– Medium and/or small wire cutters and pliers (If you have them). We will have some to share.
– Water bottle, snacks and lunch
Optional items to bring from home might include: Beads, buttons, wool locks, crafting wire, strong yarn (synthetic is fine) and whatever strikes your fancy!
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre, get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Please visit https://leightoncentre.org/join-us/become-a-member/.
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Please note there is a NO REFUND policy on all Leighton Art Centre workshops. A refund will be only be issued to participants if the workshop is cancelled by the workshop coordinator due to insufficient enrollment, extreme weather conditions, or Covid-19 restrictions. Workshops may be cancelled prior to the start date and participants will be notified via email and/or phone, and a full refund will be processed.
Withdrawal from workshops for medical reasons must be accompanied by a doctor’s medical note and must be received by the Leighton workshop coordinator prior to the workshop start date to be qualified for a full refund.
Artist/Instructor/Guide Bio: Fay has been felting for over 18 years and was a landscape painter before discovering felt. She has had her work in local and national exhibitions and sales. She is an active member of the Sheep Creek Weavers Fibre Arts Guild and Felt:Feutre. She recently completed a BFA at AUArts with a major in fibre. To see her work please check out her website https://fayhodson.com/