Family Art and Nature Series: We’re Nuts for You!
June 5, 2021 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Price: $15 – $50
Visit the beautiful foothills for a morning of exploring and creating at the Leighton Art Centre! Join our art and nature educators for a nature walk, learn about the native plants and wildlife, and create a nature inspired artwork! Join us for one session or come for them all! We will explore different topics and art projects for each session.
Session 1 – Owls: July 24th, 2021 9:30am-12:00pm
Something to hoot about!
In this session, we will discuss the owls that reside in Alberta, and where you might find these majestic mammals hiding. A simple weaving project will be completed during this session that can be proudly displayed on your wall!
Session 2 – Insects: August 7th, 2021 9:30am-12:00pm
As snug as a bug!
In this session, we will discuss these tiny little wonders of the Foothills Region. Why are bugs so important? Discover why we need them and learn why they might be one of the most important creatures in the food chain! We will build an insect sculpture with wire and buttons that can be appreciated for years to come!
Session 3 – Squirrels: August 21st, 2021 9:30am-12:00pm
We’re nuts for you!
In this session, we will discuss everything squirrel related. Why are we so drawn to this crazy rodent? Discover some answers to why squirrels can sometimes feel like a friend and other times a foe to a tree. A clay squirrel bowl will be created during this session that can hold your treasures!
Session 4 – Woodland Creatures: September 4th, 2021 9:30am-12:00pm
Over the river and through the woods is where we might find some of these friends!
In this session, we will discuss woodland creatures, from the tiniest mushroom to the biggest bear. Who lives in our Foothills Region? Learn why it is so important to protect their habitats. We will create a mini woodland creature painting that will wrap around a jar to store your little treasures!
Session 5 – Trees: July 3rd and September 11th, 2021 9:30am-12:00pm
Look up… way up!
Have you ever just laid under a tree and watched how the wind and trees communicate with each other? In this session, we will discuss everything tree-related. Learn how the trees communicate with each other and why we truly need them. A guided tree painting that you can truly be proud of will be completed during this session!
Audience: This workshop is suitable for families with children 6 and older who are looking to enjoy the outdoors and unleash their creativity! All children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (Minimum 1 adult for two children).
Weather: This is an outdoor workshop, please make sure you dress appropriately for the weather. Extremely poor weather may result in cancellation. For our cancellation & refund policy, please see below.
Supplies: All supplies are included for the art project. Optionally, you and your family may want to bring your own sketchbook and pencils to draw along the way. Families are welcome to bring their own picnic to enjoy after the workshop!
What to Wear/Bring: Let’s keep everyone comfortable and safe. We want your family to have an awesome day. The weather can change very quickly in the Foothills, so please bring the following to prepare for the day:
- A bag, preferably a backpack to pack anything you may require to carry for our adventure on our property.
- Weather appropriate clothing. Long pants are recommended all season to protect legs from scratches.
- Full water bottle, labelled with name.
- Outdoor shoes with a good tread: running shoes are preferable. Leighton Centre terrain can be bumpy, dusty or muddy.
- Warm jacket (A windbreaker is a great idea).
- Toques/hats, gloves, sunscreen etc. (Things to keep you warm in the cold, or cool in the heat)
- A healthy snack. We are a nut-free zone, please NO NUTS. We also require all garbage to be packed out. It is nice to carry a plastic bag to pack out any garbage.
- You are welcome to bring a picnic and enjoy the view after the workshop. Please keep your picnic in the car.
- Masks are mandatory for our programs, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, as physical distancing is not always possible
- On rainy days (and sometimes non-rainy days), you may get muddy or dirty. If you are concerned about a clean car, please bring the following:
- Full change of clothes
- Plastic Bags: For potentially dusty or muddy shoes and socks (those large IKEA bags are great for clothes and shoes on dirty days)
- Towels: To cover car seats
How to wear layers
- Start with a base layer to wear close to your skin such as polyester or merino wool. Try to stay away from cotton-based clothing; it retains moisture and can make you cold.
- Add a second layer for warmth; a wool, polyester or nylon long sleeved shirt.The third layer will be the insulating one such as a warm fleece.
- The last layer is an outer shell such as a thin rain jacket.
- Layers allow you to warm up or cool down as we explore our majestic property.
Registration cost: $50 for a family ticket (2 adults and 2 children) plus GST & Eventbrite Fees* ($15 for an individual or extra child)
* Or register by phone: 403-931-3633, Mon-Fri, 10 am – 4 pm to avoid Eventbrite fees
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Please visit https://leightoncentre.org/join-us/become-a-member/.
All participants must sign our Covid-19 Liability waiver prior to their participation in a workshop. You can view our Covid-19 liability waiver here: https://leightoncentre.org/workshop-covid-19-liability-release-waiver/
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Please note there is a NO REFUND policy on all Leighton Art Centre workshops. A refund will be only be issued to participants if the workshop is canceled by the workshop coordinator due to insufficient enrollment, extreme weather conditions, or Covid-19 restrictions. Workshops may be canceled prior to the start date and participants will be notified via email and/or phone, and a full refund will be processed.
Withdrawal from workshops for medical reasons must be accompanied by a doctor’s medical note and must be received by the Leighton workshop coordinator prior to the workshop start date to be qualified for a full refund.