We’ll start with making a felt “sampler” to work on basic felting techniques and experiment with surface fibres. Next, we’ll create a felt landscape – the main project. Weather permitting, we’ll take a short walk to be inspired by the spectacular Leighton Centre panoramic view and discuss some of the principles of creating a landscape. We’ll follow a basic project design, although participants may choose to be more adventurous if they wish. Fay will bring along some examples of completed works and we’ll talk about techniques that you may want to try on your own.
Overview of Class Content:
– Review of the basic steps of making felt from wool roving or batt
– Laying out a landscape and “painting” with wool using blending and overlaying techniques
– Experimenting with various textural fibres to provide surface detail
– Discussing needle-felting and stitching options and experimenting with them as time allows
– Discussing ways that your finished product can be supported and displayed
Audience: This workshop is designed for adult beginners and more experienced felters.
Supplies: Supplies included in the workshop are the wool, pre-felt and fibres (e.g. bamboo, silk, banana, curls).
Please bring from home:
– waterproof measuring tape or ruler
– two or more bath towels (approximately 36 X 20 inches at least)
– basin or bowl (shoebox size is plenty)
– Water bottle, snacks, and lunch
Wet-felting tools if you have them:
– bubble wrap (two pieces at least 16 X 19 inches – bubbles approximately 1 cm in diameter)
– rolling noodle (approximately 2.5 ft of pool noodle)
– watering bulb (a plastic water bottle with holes in the lid will work)
– small cheese grater if you have one for grating soap
Please bring what you have – Fay will bring bubble wrap and rolling noodles for those who need them and some extra tools to share.
Optional items: needle-felt needles and foam, carders, coloured thread, embroidery thread and needle, yarn, wool locks, any interesting fibres that you would like to experiment with.
Registration: $ 138.33
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Please visit https://leightoncentre.org/join-us/become-a-member/.
Cancellation and Refund Policy: Please note there is a NO REFUND policy on all Leighton Art Centre workshops. A refund will be only be issued to participants if the workshop is cancelled by the workshop coordinator due to insufficient enrollment, extreme weather conditions, or Covid-19 restrictions. Workshops may be cancelled prior to the start date and participants will be notified via email and/or phone, and a full refund will be processed.
Withdrawal from workshops for medical reasons must be accompanied by a doctor’s medical note and must be received by the Leighton workshop coordinator prior to the workshop start date to be qualified for a full refund.
Artist/Instructor/Guide Bio: Fay has been felting for over 18 years and was a landscape painter before discovering felt. She has had her work in local and national exhibitions and sales. She is an active member of the Sheep Creek Weavers Fibre Arts Guild and Felt:Feutre. She recently completed a BFA at AUArts with a major in fibre. To see her work please check out her website https://fayhodson.com/