Wandering With WonderWorld Premiere - 3 Performances Over 2 Days
September 18 - September 19
Inspired by the land, water and sky, Wandering with Wonder is an immersive outdoor musical storytelling experience using the arts to reconnect people with nature. This 90-minute performance takes the audience through an adventure of mystery, loss and discovery while featuring newly composed music by five Canadian composers: Chris Andrew, Jordan Andrew, Matt Epp, Sherryl Sewepagaham and Walter MacDonald White Bear. On this journey, the audience will meet a magical young woman (a puppet), Wonder, who will guide them through a day that never was. Through her eyes, we experience the transformational power of nature, music and friendship as she goes in search of her lost song.
Wandering with Wonder is set to premiere at Leighton Art Centre on Saturday September 18 (3 pm) and Sunday September 19 (11 am & 3 pm), 2021.
We have just released a few more tickets!
Important performance details:
- This performance is not recommended for children under 5.
- Performance takes place outdoors, on the land at Leighton Art Centre, rain or shine. Please dress for the weather.
- Audience members will be standing/walking for 90 minutes and walking up to 0.5 km over uneven ground. No strollers. Not recommended for people needing to use walkers or wheelchairs.
- No smoking or dogs anywhere on Leighton Art Centre property.
- Much of the performance audio is delivered via a small FM radio receiver that you can carry in a pocket or purse or hold in your hand; one (sanitized) receiver will be loaned to each audience member for the duration of the performance.
- For each audience member, please bring headphones or earbuds with a 3.5 mm single-jack plug to attach to the provided portable FM radio receiver. NO WIRELESS HEADPHONES & NO AIRPODS, as they are not compatible with our receivers.
Written and produced by Samantha Whelan Kotkas
Dean Bareham – Director
Chris Andrew – Music Director
Paul Johnston – Recording Engineer
Tobias Kalden – Technical Director
Lynne Huras – Artwork
Anni Kuhn – Costume Designer
Christy Mackintosh – Story Editor
Featuring Performances and Music By:
Rubim de Toledo
The Lily String Quartet
Samantha Whelan Kotkas
Walter MacDonald White Bear
Luminous Voices – Directed by Timothy Shantz
Musicians in order of appearance – Matt Epp – Guitar and Vocals, Lily String Quartet – Elisa Milner – Violin, Diane Lane – Violin, Patricia Higgins – Viola and Andrea Case – Cello, Chris Andrew – Piano and keyboard, Jamie Cooper – Percussion and Drums, Rubim de Toledo – Bass, Sherryl Sewepagaham – Vocals, Samantha Whelan Kotkas – Trumpet, Walter MacDonald White Bear – Guitar, Flute, Vocals, Drum, Rattle, Luminous Voices – Choral Works – Soprano – Julie Crouch & Katie Partridge, Alto – Julie Freedman-Smith & Sara Staples, Tenor – Rod Olson & Jason Ragan, Bass – Bryan Hryciw & Paul Grindlay.
The Wandering With Wonder team and Leighton Art Centre are very grateful for and would like to acknowledge the support of Canada Council for the Arts | Conseil des arts du Canada, Alberta Foundation for the Arts, Green Fools Theatre Society, Luminous Voices, Calgary Arts Development, and The Edward | Section 23 Developments.